Wed, 22 July 2009
I am inundated with excellent games, happy as a clam. But trouble has been brewing for some gamers who fear the titles they love will be marred by sneaky developers and their zany "improvement" schemes. Some have gone so far as to organize an online defense force, including fans of Left 4 Dead, Starcraft, and Diablo. Maybe they have some reasonable complaints and should be heard. Or maybe they are entitled good-for-nothings with too much time on their hands. This week, Scott and I tackle 'nerd rage'. Join us while we discuss whiners, community organizing, unicorn art and what pisses us off. As always, your comments are appreciated.
Some discussion starters:
- Should gamers, such as the Left 4 Dead 2 boycotters, bother organizing against perceived grievances by developers/publishers? Where does the sense of entitlement come from?
- What responsibility do developers/publishers have to their consumers, fan base, and online community? What are the best tactics for diffusing hostility when it arises? Is acquiescing harmful?
- What sparks your nerd rage?
To listen to the podcast:
- Subscribe to the EXP Podcast via iTunes here. Additionally, here is the stand-alone feed.
- Listen to the podcast in your browser by left-clicking the title. Or, right-click and select "save as link" to download the show in MP3 format.
- Subscribe to this podcast and EXP's written content with the RSS link on the right.
- Run time: 27 min 56 sec
- Left 4 Dead 2 Boycott Group
- Starcraft 2 LAN petition
-Diablo 3 art petition
- Adam Sessler's response to L4D Boycott
- Music provided by Brad Sucks